Saturday, March 5, 2011

Day 4 and 5

Friday-
Today at Wolf Park. Woke up, and gave wolves their morning "Meatballs." After that education interlude in the education building(yep educational things happening in the education building what a surprise). That was cool, it was a webinar done by  a man named Clive who's group has been studying dog cognition and has also study the wolves here at wolf park to see how they do with the same tests. In earlier studies all the wolves did worse than the dog, but the difference between the studies that they did and the one the Clive's group did was that the wolves here were familiar the people who preformed these test whereas in earlier studies they weren't. After that we sanded some more. Following the seemingly endless sanding project, the vet for the animals here came by. She did a check up on one of the foxes Devon. after they were done taking blood etc, Amanda took her on a short walk, let all of us interns pet her, and then Devon was happy to be put back in her cage. The vet also looked at Dharma and Kalani from the main pack. Dharma for a pregnancy test and Kalani to check out some menstrual bleeding thing. After that the vet did check-ups on Tristian(his teeth) and Kiri(he's just really old). The last thing we did for the wolves that night was evening "meatballs", after the full day of events I watched the movie Kickass and then it was off to bed.

Saturday-
Today started of with morning "meatballs". I wasn't that cold when we set of for morning "meatballs, but after Pat's safety lecture about wolf behavior it was freezing. Other than the we didn't do much that afternoon. I was a photo seminar day so there were people there taking pictures of the wolves. So I ate lunch an relaxed for the afternoon. Played chess that ended in a stillmate(I killed all of Kayla's other pieces so that made me happy. That evening we learned all about the Howl night procedure. turning all the lights on, opening up the gate, unlocking doors etc. All the interns had placed bets about how many people would show up for Howl night the number were as follows 5,11,13,15 at last count I think that there were 13 people there so I'm pretty sure I won the bet. Anyways after that we did all opposite stuff to shut down after Howl Night and now we're finished(hoorah). I think the first Howl night went very well considering it was flurrying(I am so tired of the snow enough is enough!!!!) I'm tired from a week of work here, but I'm alreadying in love with being here with the wolves, coyotes and foxes!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. hey sugar bear, your blog is awesome!I love reading about what you are doing at wolfpark everyday! It took me all week to figure out how to post again! (so thats why you haven't heard from me)I would love to talk to you on the phone but I know you are just too busy. Ironically the same day you were gutting your deer I was doing the same thing in my fish and seafood class(on fish of course!)I agree with you 110% - the butchering I can handle but the guts are just too gross!!!!!UGH!!!! Me and Katie were totally gagging!
    Glad you are learning how to sand furnitue - I was thinking of doing our kitchen chairs and table over the summer and i'm sure you will want to help!hahaha
    Love you and miss you lots, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maggs, you are getting to be a great writer! I love reading these.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I love the movie Kickass, it is totally awesome. I am enjoying reading your posts- it is fun to learn about everything you are doing. What is "Howl Night"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Howl night happens every Saturday in the closed season and every Friday and Saturday in the open season. They talk about wolves and try to teach people stuff they don't know already, half of the talk the staff is outside the encloser, and the second half they are inside the encloser they try if they can for the wolves to give a chorus howl, but it didn't work so well last night...

    ReplyDelete