Thursday, March 3, 2011

Wolf Park: Day 2 and 3

Wednesday- 
My second day at Wolf Park!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!! And Ew ... So yesterday my orientation continued. 7:50 woke up. 8:00 watched the "meatballs" for the wolves being made. "Meatballs" are used to give wolves medication that they need. Interns make them in the morning before 10(because there is a 6 hour minimum waiting period between the medication giving) and again around four.  After that we had to learn how to chop up the deer for the wolves. I was able to get through most of it without being too disgusted by having to butcher up a dead deer until that is we got to the guts!!!!!! I almost barfed!!!!! The guts are just so disgusting!!!!! So lessons learned from that I think I'll be able to butcher the deers for the wolves, but I'm not so sure about those guts. Then we wen t around and threw the food to the wolves which wasn't as bad. Anyways after that lunch, nothing exciting there. After the lunch break we went down and got our fox clearance. We went in to their pen with Amanda who take most of the duties involving the two foxes Ember and Devon. We got to feed them dead mice, by holding one mice in our hand and waiting for them to come up to us and take it. The last thing we did was evening "meatballs" That night we went out to dinner at and Irish pub and restaurant and that's about it.

Thursday-
So today started the same as yesterday "meatballs" galore. After "meatballs" we went over safety protocols with John. The interns also had to start sanding parts for a shelving unit today, Since we have to get all the ink and stuff off it's going to take awhile, but that's okay. Dharma and Woton were let in to the west field which is usually for the bison and we got to watch the run around for awhile. Evening "meatballs" and then we played a card game called wizard I watched a couple of my shows on the internet and now here I am about to go to bed.

Just a note  I will try to post everyday if I get the chance, but with the schedule I'm going on right now I'm pretty much beat. So that just means I won't be making any promises about posting everyday. So that's been a whirlwind tour of my past two days at Wolf Park!!!!!!!!


 So today

2 comments:

  1. Considering your delicate stomach (and I speak from personal experience), I think you should be very proud of yourself for being able to make the "meatballs" and especially for dealing with the guts. Wolf Park sounds like a lot of Work, which is a good thing, and it sounds like you're enjoying it. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maggs! You are making me so proud! I think I might not be able to gut a deer myself. I hope this doesn't make you want a hunting rifle for Christmas, though. And those might be safety 'protocols', instead of 'prodigals'. I just saw an article about advances in forensic examination which you would like, it's basically learning how to use advanced CAT scans and other types of imaging for post-mortem work, instead of the old type of autopsy. So it would not be as yucky, (and the pay is great!). Keep up the good work and post more when you can.

    ReplyDelete